How can physio help you?
Physiotherapy plays such a vital role in the rehabilitation of patients who have suffered with Covid-19, who may experience limitations in daily life now. This may include changes to their abilities and functionality of their bodies.
Every patient has a different story to tell, and every patient is different in their recovery. Here at Home Physio Group, we can support you every step of the way.
After Covid-19, you may find you are having difficulty with any of the below:
- Breathing. This can now be harder work for you due to the damage to your lungs from the infection.
- Fatigue. You may find that you are consistently tired and will need some physio to build up your endurance and tolerance to activities that you used to find so easy.
- Fitness levels. Your fitness levels will be reduced due to a respiratory infection, and you may even find just walking around the house or using the stairs hard and tiring work.
- Muscle weakness. During your illness, you were not as active or for some not active at all particularly If you were in hospital for a time, leading to muscle decline. Tasks like lifting a kettle for instance can be hard for you now.
During the assessment, our physiotherapists will describe the short-term and long-term treatment plans so clients and their relatives feel completely empowered and confident with the rehabilitation programme. They will be able to guide you through your tailor-made programme to improve all the issues you are experiencing and get you back to the activities you once enjoyed before suffering with Covid-19 as quickly as possible.
Your treatment will include:
- Breathing exercises if your lungs have been compromised by the virus
- An extensive assessment which will look at your movement, strength, mobility, coordination, range of motion, and balance
- Specific exercises tailored to you, to reactivate and strengthen certain muscle groups
- Soft tissue mobilisations or massage if you are experiencing any joint pain and/or stiffness
- Targeted exercises to improve your balance if this is affecting your mobility
- Looking at your gait and addressing your walking pattern if this has been affected
- Advice on lifestyle and fatigue management
- A programme of targeted exercises to help you if you have had a fall, and a full assessment to determine the cause
- Your physio will aim to build your confidence if you have a fear of falling
- Looking at your home environment to assess and determine if there are any trip hazards that can be rectified
- An exercise programme that is printed clearly with pictures and easy for you to follow when you are on your own or with your carer or family member
If you or a loved one are recovering from Covid-19, please call Home Physio Group on 0330 335 1016 to talk to our friendly and professional staff who can help answer any questions you may have.