How can physio help you?
Whether you suffer from an acute respiratory condition such as a chest infection or a chronic condition such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chest physiotherapy can help. It is designed to help you clear secretions or phlegm so that your breathing becomes easier and will subsequently make you feel better.
Respiratory or chest physiotherapy can help you if you have Asthma, Bronchiectasis, COPD, a Chest Infection, Pneumonia, and Cystic Fibrosis along with several other respiratory diseases.
Your physio’s role
- Your physiotherapist will carry out a full assessment to determine how your respiratory condition is affecting you
- This will include listening to your lungs with a stethoscope to determine if there is any phlegm evident
- They may check your Oxygen Saturation levels
- Techniques used to help clear phlegm include ‘hands on’ chest percussions, vibrations, and postural drainage
- Deep breathing exercises such as the “Active Cycle of Breathing Technique” is often taught to help bring up unwanted secretions
- Your physio may suggest certain gadgets that could help clear your airways
- If you are struggling with mobility, this will be investigated and an appropriate treatment plan will be implemented
- Advice and education will be given on your condition and how best to manage it