How we can help
Fear of falling affects approximately 50% of older people. There are several reasons why your mobility deteriorates and leads to falls, including having an accident or illness and ageing.
Home Physio Group is here to support your concerns and problems by providing a personalised exercise programme that is enjoyable, adapted to the right intensity, and includes supervision.
To minimise your risk of accidents your physiotherapist will:
- Assess your problems, create goals, and select a suitable treatment programme
- Determine which part of your body is weak and could be strengthened further
- Assess your balance reaction and coordination
- Review your home environment for trip hazards
- Advise on equipment that may benefit your environment
- Review your range of joint movement and how it affects mobility
- Advise on what type of activity is safe and suitable
Exercise, education, and advice are just some of the strategies we use to improve your balance, increase your self-confidence, and reduce any fear of falling.
Our tips to help you prevent your falls risk
- Keep as active as you possibly can
- Wear shoes with non-slip soles
- Use night lights in your bedroom, hallway, and bathrooms
- Do your physiotherapy exercises on a regular basis
- Use a suitable walking aid if needed
- Adapt your home environment according to the advice from your physiotherapist
- Know how to cope in the event that a fall does happen
- Be careful of electrical wires across pathways as these are easy to trip over
- Have handrails installed on both sides of your staircase