Anxiety is a generalised mood disorder that results in feelings of apprehension, fear or worry. Anxiety is often caused by stress at home, work or school which can impact directly on a person’s physical health. Anxiety can cause muscles to tighten which can lead to pain, stiffness and reduced joint mobility and effectively impact on activities of daily living.
How can physiotherapy help?
Physiotherapy treatment plays an important role in the management of anxiety. Physiotherapy techniques are effective at reducing tension in muscles, enhance relaxation, reduce pain and stiffness, improve sleep quality, enhance well-being, mood, self-esteem, improve cardiovascular fitness and restore functional ability.
Physiotherapy treatment for anxiety aims at improving patient’s ability to manage day to day activities, recreational activities and restore quality of life. Treatment is always individualised and tailor made to your needs giving you the confidence that will help you in the long term.
What will be included in the physiotherapy session?
- Structured and graded exercises to improve fitness and reduce fatigue
- Muscle stretches to reduce muscles tightness
- Relaxation techniques to enhance breathing control
- An exercise programme that is printed clearly with pictures and easy for you to follow when you are on your own
- Sometimes if you don’t know where to start with your exercise, a physiotherapist can guide you. Particularly if you have been injured or have been unwell for a long time, a physiotherapist can give you the confidence you need by demonstrating to you what exercises you can do without causing you harm
- Our therapists are always thoughtful and considerate, they will never push you beyond your limits. They will always listen and take good care to ensure the patient achieves their optimum but within their limits.
If you feel that physiotherapy can help you overcome and manage your anxiety, please contact Home Physio Group to talk to our team, or alternatively, please use the contact form on the website and we will reach out to you.