Sports massage is known to be beneficial to athletes and many of us who exercise regularly. It can be used during training, rehabilitation, post-performance, and pre-performance. There are many different techniques and movements used when having a sports massage, including kneading, compression, friction, stretching and many more. All these movements directly help you and your body achieve your maximum performance, also minimising the risk of injury or pain.
It is known that there are 10 real benefits of having a sports massage:
- Stress relief – the body functions better when our stress levels are reduced
- Relaxation – having a massage relaxes the body
- Blood Pressure – reducing your blood pressure, less stress gives you a more efficient vascular system
- Circulation – when our muscles relax, blood supply increases and allows more nutrients to be delivered to your muscles
- Muscle soreness – reducing your muscle soreness is important as it will help your muscle tissue relax and repair
- Lymph System – our lymph system runs through our entire body, collecting excess fluids and returning it to our blood to help fight off any illnesses. Massage helps this fluid travel around our body helping it to fight off any infection
- Endorphins – endorphins make us feel better which in turn will reduce our pain
- Injury time – massage allows your tired and injured muscles and tendons to heal and repair
- Movement – massage helps increase the movement of your joints by stretching out the muscles, so that you do not cease up and feel stiff
- Performance – massage will help you improve your sporting performance and keep your strength and flexibility up, allowing you to jump higher, swim further, lift heavier, or run faster
Sometimes after a sports massage you may feel tenderness and stiffness which can last for a couple of days, and your therapist may advise you to rest from exercise for two or three days, to give your body time to heal.
Call us today at Home Physio Group on 020 7096 0684, and let us help you recover and achieve your goals.