Whether you are having a hip replaced, an open-heart procedure or receiving breast cancer treatment, you will need some type of physiotherapy in order to assist in recovery. Rehabilitation not only speeds the healing process, but it also will help you learn the best way to care for yourself and return to daily activities.
Physiotherapists are knowledgeable about surgical procedures and treatment goals for post-surgical patients. Most importantly, our physiotherapists can tailor treatments to improve the overall well-being of a patient, better ensuring long-term success. In fact, studies have shown the value of beginning exercise training and rehabilitation as soon as possible after surgery. Therapists can use exercises, posture training, manual therapy and other methods to accomplish this.
However, avoiding or not fully committing to your rehabilitation program can hinder the recovery process. It’s important to get moving and functioning as soon after the procedure otherwise the following can occur:
- Decreased blood flow to the area can negatively affect healing at the surgical site.
- Muscles can weaken and atrophy if they go too long without use.
- Not learning or relearning proper movement can put stress on the area affected.
How physiotherapy can help you?
We offer a wide range of therapeutic procedures to treat and rehabilitate the patient from healing time to return to physical activity or sport. Treatment includes:
- Advice and support through the different stages of your recovery
- Managing pain, swelling and scarring
- Mobility, Flexibility, Strength, Balance and Coordination exercises
- Advice on how to return to daily activities and independence
- Guidance on how to return to recreational activities, sports and peak performance
- How to prevent some complications and compensatory issues
- Chest physiotherapy for cough and breathing problems if required
In addition to physiotherapy you should follow your post-surgical instructions regarding incision care, medications and resuming normal activities.
Whether you have just scheduled knee surgery or you are in the recovery process, our physiotherapists at Home Physio Group can help you get back to action. We begin with a personalised assessment to develop a custom-tailored physiotherapy plan that is right for you.
For more information please contact us on 0330 335 1016 or alternatively please fill out our contact sheet and we will get back to you.