A headache is a common condition that all of us will suffer from at some point in our lives. There are various reasons why we may get a headache and can sometimes be difficult to diagnose the cause.
However, it is known that many headaches can contribute to the structures of your neck. For many, when a headache starts it is often felt in the top of the neck and as the pain gets worse it may spread to the back of your head, temples, forehead or even above your eyes. These are called cervicogenic headaches.
The following points suggest that your headache could be bought on by your neck
- Headache eased by pressure to the base of your skull
- Headache which persists even after your doctor has checked for other causes
- Headache associated with neck pain
- Headache that is bought on by staying in the same position for a long period of time
Other reasons why your headache could be persistent
- Family history
- Drinking caffeine
- Poor/lack of sleep
- Hormonal in balance
- Bad posture
- Changes in weather
How can a physiotherapist help with my headaches
When you see your physiotherapist for your initial appointment, they will do a full examination and assessment to determine if your neck is what is causing your constant headaches.
Some of the techniques used by a physiotherapist to help you are
- Functional and rehabilitation exercises
- Assessment of your posture
- Mobilisation of the joint muscles in your neck
- Acupuncture or dry needling
Your physiotherapist will help reduce the stress and tension affecting your neck muscles, and help improve your posture and strength at the same time. They will also help you restore mobility in your neck, getting you back on the road to recovery as quickly as possible.
If you or a loved one are suffering from ongoing headaches, please call Home Physio Group on 020 7096 0684 to talk to our friendly and professional staff who can help answer any questions you may have.