How we can help
When your child/adolescent gets diagnosed with a disability, illness, or sensory impairment and needs additional support on a daily or weekly basis, they are often described as having complex needs. A child/adolescent may have complex needs from birth or after an injury or illness.
If your child/adolescent has complex needs, it can be very reassuring to speak to other parents in the same situation. It is always helpful to meet people who have experienced the same (or similar) emotions and processes.
Many children/adolescents with complex needs can learn to live independent lives, while others may always need extra care. Specialist paediatric physiotherapists have the skills to guide all of you through this process.
To help your child/adolescent with their complex needs our physiotherapist will:
- Assess your child/adolescent and their daily needs with a parent or carer present
- Establish a goal to maximise the child/adolescent’s physical abilities to help them achieve optimal health and wellbeing
- Look to see how their strength, balance, and coordination is impaired and address this
- Look at your home and recommend some easy adjustments
- Advise you on any suitable gadgets that may help your child/adolescent with activities around the home or at school
- Review their day and night time positioning if they have limited mobility
- Refer you to an Occupational Therapist if this is required
- Show you stretches and massage techniques that may help relieve symptoms
- Give you plenty of advice and education so that you fully understand their condition and goals
- Work closely with the other health professionals involved in caring for your child/adolescent
Our top tips to help your child at home
- Keep on top of your child/adolescent’s day and night time positioning to prevent pressure sores
- Source the right equipment for your child through your physiotherapist or OT
- Try to keep up with the physio exercises. Stretches and splinting regimes especially can help reduce contractures and muscle stiffness